Ruby Rock-It

Tutorial: Keep Calm & Scrap On

by Cindy Walker Stevens | June 22, 2013

Hello, Scrappy Friends!

Cindy here today with a quick home decor project to share using Fundamentals Cardmaking supplies.

For this project, I used an old, inexpensive picture frame, vellum, bling, alphas and neutral cardstock (I used black for mine). As you can see, I have a few more embellishments pictured that I didn't use - but that's OK, I am going to save them for another day :)

 

This frame is several years old (and was quite grungy), so the first step was to clean it up a bit and I gave both sides of the glass a good and throrough wiping.

I next traced the WRONG side of my vellum (I used the damask) and cardstock in pencil and then trimming them down to fit my frame opening. 

IMG_3229

Placing the vellum first, the cardstock next (to make the pattern on the vellum show better), I then added the back side to my frame. The rest of the process will take place directly on the glass, which is why I wouldn't reccomend using an expensive or heirloom frame for this project.

IMG_3232

I decided on the sentiment for my decor item and then set to work mapping out where all the letters would fit (and praying I could make it work in this little space). I took a quick measurement of my opening and plotted the letters on a grid cutting mat. As you can see, it takes A LOT of the guesswork out of the process. I realized at this point that I wasn't going to be able to fit the whole sentiment on my frame with this size font, so I dug into my stash and found some smaller alphas and set to work 'blinging them up'.


IMG_3235

For this step, apply the stickers to a piece of plastic (so you can remove them later). I used a quick adhering liquid adhesive on the top of the sticker, then added glitter (ClearSnap Fool's Gold) and waited for it to dry.

IMG_3239

Once the alphas were ready to go, I did a dry run and centered them on my glass top. The next step is the adhesive. Take a deep breath & make sure to have a few Q-tips on hand to wipe away excess glue from your alphas (you WILL have excess glue - trust me!) and the glass surface. Work fast once you start this process.  ** I also had to add additional adhesive to my alpha stickers as the glitter that slides underneath really does a number on the stickiness of them.

Once I was happy with the sentiment placement, I added one final detail to my frame. I punched out a circle of white cardstock (approx. 2"), adhered and backed it with a small piece of black cardstock (trimmed down with small scalloped scissors) and added a bling crown. I added foam adhesive to this and centered it at the top of my frame.


IMG_3253

This sassy little decoration has now found a home next to my owl in my scrap room.

IMG_3255

 

Thanks for joining me today!

HUGS & Happy Surfing!

-Cindy


Recent Posts

Socialise with us


TOP